K. Eric Wommack
Plant & Soil Science
Phone: (302) 831-4362
Office: DE Biotechnology Institute DBI
Journalists: Katy O'Connell (Communications Manager) can assist with interview requests for this expert. 302-831-1355, email@example.com
- An environmental microbiologist, Wommack studies viruses, the most abundant biological entities on Earth. Particular focus is on the ecology of viruses in soil and marine environments.
- Has conducted expeditions to the deep sea hydrothermal vents. Work includes diving to depths of greater than 2 miles deep, where both temperatures and pressure are at high levels. Wommack analyzes microbes of vent environments through DNA sequences from samples collected during the dives.
- Is the first scientist ever to explore the ecology of viruses within soils using direct procedures that do not require isolation and cultivation of microorganisms.
- Founding co-editor of the journal Microbiome.
- Can also discuss microbes associated with the human vagina.
Professor, Plant and Soil Science
Professor, Biological Sciences
Professor, College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment
UD researchers study viruses at deep-sea vents