Sociology & Criminal Justice
Phone: (302) 831-1984
Office: 166B Graham Hall
- Researches societal (human) responses to disasters of all types: natural, technological, environmental and human-induced.
- Can discuss an array disaster-related sociological topics: collective behavior, social movements, sociology of risk, environmental sociology.
- Broadly knowledgeable about non-disaster sociological topics including: inequality and health access, gender, science policy and the sociology of knowledge.
- Headed a multidisciplinary team that conducted a Congressionally-required public risk assessment for the proposed high level nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain in Nevada.
- Former president of the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute. Former director of UD's Disaster Research Center .
In The News:
Snowstorm or 'Snowpocalypse'? D.C. abuzz as weather hits (ABC News)
Q&A: U.S. Evacuation Plans, Post-Katrina (NPR)
Disasters giving Americans 'compassion fatigue' (Scripps Howard News Service)